HealthSource Integrative Medical Centre is proud to offer Hyperthermia (Oncotherm) machine in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario Canada to enhance our supportive cancer care program.
Hyperthermia is a Non-Invasive Adjunctive Therapy to Conventional Care.
Hyperthermia is the principle of heating a body tissue to high temperatures. By heating the body, indicated solid tumours can become more receptive to conventional treatments such as radiation and chemotherapy. Long periods of heating increases blood flow to the tumour and oxygenation, as well as protein changes within the tumour. This help sensitizes tumours, making them more receptive to chemotherapy and radiation. Research has also shown that high temperatures can damage and kill cancer cells, usually with minimal injury to normal tissues. Loco-Regional Hyperthermia (LRHT) takes this principle one step further by concentrating that heat only on tumour cells. It does this through a delivery method that selectively delivers a controlled energy dose to a localized treatment area. Because tumour cells have different cell walls than healthy cells, they alone are susceptible to this treatment.
How does Hyperthermia work against tumour cells?
LRHT is designed to selectively heat targeted cancer tissue to higher temperatures in a safe and controlled manner.
Microbiological tests have demonstrated that in a malignant tumour cell, the ionic (electrolyte) concentrations in the outermost layer are very different from healthy cells. Consequently, the malignant cell has greater electrical conductivity and permittivity than healthy cells. The greater conductivity of tumour cells allows the radio-frequency (RF) field current to flow predominantly through the tumour cells, and the resulting concentration of energy selectively heats the malignant cells to temperatures greater than 42°C, while leaving surrounding healthy tissue unharmed.
Localized heating of the tissue has several effects on malignant cells:
- Reduced tumour growth and invasion: Heat damages or weakens the proteins and structures within cells of the tumour, slowing the growth and spread of the tumour.
- Chemo-sensitization & targeted drug uptake: Heat increases blood flow through the weakened tumour allowing targeted uptake of chemotherapy, thereby amplifying the anti-cancer effects on the tumour while protecting healthy tissue.
- Radio-sensitization & apoptosis induction: The tumour environment is pathologically hypoxic (has low oxygen levels) which contributes to resistance to radiation therapy. Heating raises oxygen levels in tumours (via increased blood flow) so the cancer can be more effectively treated by radiation therapy, stimulating apoptosis (cancer cell death) and tumour necrosis (destruction).
- Enhanced anti-angiogenesis: LRHT has been shown to enhance the effect of anti-angiogenic drugs (agents used to inhibit tumour blood vessel formation) commonly used in metastatic disease (e.g. bevacizumab).
- Immune induction: The body senses fever and can stimulate the immune system (via increased expression and release of heat shock proteins), activating and employing the body’s natural innate immune mechanisms, thereby assisting the anti-tumour response.
- Activation of tumour suppressor genes: LRHT has been demonstrated to activate p53 – a tumour suppressor gene that is silenced in most cancers. It codes for a critical molecule that is responsible for inducing cancer cell cycle arrest and apoptosis, as well as DNA repair of abnormal cells.
Is it safe?
LRHT is safe for both patients and operators. The patient will feel comfortable throughout the procedure. Continuous monitoring throughout treatment by our doctors and staff ensure that patient comfort is maximal. Effects from treatment are usually restricted to a surface reddening of the skin.
Can other therapies be used in conjunction?
LRHT is meant to be used in conjunction with other therapies. It helps them work better!
Are there studies on Hyperthermia and LRHT as a treatment?
Yes! Please see www.teneovita.com for a multitude of trials.
I have cancer and want to know if hyperthermia or other integrative cancer therapies can help
At HealthSource Integrative Medical Centre, Dr Michael Reid, Naturopathic Doctor, evaluates all your information to tailor a plan that is designed specifically for you. He strategically integrates evidence-informed therapies to guide candidates about supportive therapies available to them.