HealthSource Integrative Medical Centre is proud and thrilled to announce that the 6th Hyperthermia (Oncotherm) machine in Canada, and the 2nd in Ontario, is now in Waterloo Region. This means we now have a powerful and advanced ally for cancer care. Hyperthermia has proven its benefits through over 100,000 treatments each year in medical centres and hospitals worldwide. It has been used in Germany for many decades as standard cancer care that works alongside conventional radiation and chemotherapy treatments. The therapy can deliver increased survival times, and the National Cancer Institute acknowledges the power of this therapy in shrinking tumors.
Hyperthermia is a Health Canada Approved, Effective, Non-Invasive Therapy In the Fight Against Cancer
Hyperthermia is the principle of heating a body tissue to high temperatures (over 42°C). Research has shown that high temperatures can damage and kill cancer cells, usually with minimal injury to normal tissues. By killing cancer cells and damaging proteins and structures within cells, hyperthermia may shrink tumors.
Loco-Regional Hyperthermia (LRHT) takes this principle one step further by concentrating that heat only on tumour cells. It does this through a delivery method that selectively delivers a controlled energy dose to a localized treatment area. Because tumour cells have different cell walls than health cells, they alone are susceptible to this treatment.
One of the most significant effects of LRHT is its ability to sensitize cancer cells to chemotherapy (chemo-sensitization). The positive results of phase II & III clinical trials have established that LRHT plus chemotherapy allows the chemotherapy to better target the heated tumor.
What types of cancer does Loco-Regional Hyperthermia work for?
Numerous clinical trials have shown a beneficial effect on many different types of cancer both primary and metastatic malignancies. Oncotherm has the ability to target both superficial cancers of the body, as well as deep cancers.
- Superficial: the head & neck area and surrounding lymph nodes, breast, chest wall, esophagus, superficial malignant sites (i.e. melanoma), and which would also include the brain
- Deep: bladder, cervix, rectum & colon, kidneys, liver, lungs, ovaries, uterus, pancreas, peritoneum, prostate, stomach, and deep within the bones, lymph nodes, and surrounding soft tissues (i.e. sarcoma).
How does Hyperthermia work against tumour cells?
LRHT is designed to selectively heat targeted cancer tissue to higher temperatures in a safe and controlled manner.
Microbiological tests have demonstrated that in a malignant tumour cell, the ionic (electrolyte) concentrations in the outermost layer are very different from healthy cells. Consequently, the malignant cell has greater electrical conductivity and permittivity than healthy cells. The greater conductivity of tumour cells allows the radio-frequency (RF) field current to flow predominantly through the tumour cells, and the resulting concentration of energy selectively heats the malignant cells to temperatures greater than 42°C, while leaving surrounding healthy tissue unharmed. Malignant tumour cells then die via a natural process known as “apoptosis.”
In addition to apoptosis (cell death), localized heating of the tissue has several other critical effects on malignant cells:
- Reduced tumor growth and invasion: Heat damages or weakens the proteins and structures within cells of the tumor, slowing the growth and spread of the tumor.
- Chemo-sensitization & targeted drug uptake: Heat increases blood flow through the weakened tumor allowing targeted uptake of chemotherapy, thereby amplifying the anti-cancer effects on the tumor while protecting healthy tissue.
- Radio-sensitization & apoptosis induction: The tumor environment is pathologically hypoxic (has low oxygen levels) which contributes to resistance to radiation therapy. Heating raises oxygen levels in tumors (via increased blood flow) so the cancer can be more effectively treated by radiation therapy, stimulating apoptosis (cancer cell death) and tumor necrosis (destruction).
- Enhanced anti-angiogenesis: LRHT has been shown to enhance the effect of anti-angiogenic drugs (agents used to inhibit tumor blood vessel formation) commonly used in metastatic disease (e.g. bevacizumab).
- Immune induction: The body senses fever and can stimulate the immune system (via increased expression and release of heat shock proteins), activating and employing the body’s natural innate immune mechanisms, thereby assisting the anti-tumor response.
- Activation of tumor suppressor genes: LRHT has been demonstrated to activate p53 – a tumor suppressor gene that is silenced in most cancers. It codes for a critical molecule that is responsible for inducing cancer cell cycle arrest and apoptosis, as well as DNA repair of abnormal cells.
In addition, LRHT has applications post-surgically to treat potential rogue cells liberated by biopsy or surgery.
Is it safe?
LRHT is safe for both patients and operators. The patient will feel comfortable throughout the procedure. Clinical trials have shown minimal adverse effects and risk with treatment. Continuous monitoring throughout treatment by our doctors and staff ensure that patient comfort is maximal. Effects from treatment are usually restricted to a surface reddening of the skin.
Can other therapies be used in conjunction?
LRHT is meant to be used in conjunction with other therapies. It helps them work better! LRHT potentiates chemotherapy and radiation while mitigating side effects. Even a tumour which has developed a resistance to chemotherapy and radiation, may respond again to these therapies following LRHT treatment. LRHT can deliver increased survival times and improved quality of life for indicated cancer types. Furthermore, LRHT has potential palliative application when available conventional therapies are no longer indicated.
Are there studies on Hyperthermia and LRHT as a treatment?
Yes! Please see www.teneovita.com for a multitude of trials.
I have cancer and want to know if hyperthermia or other integrative cancer therapies can help
At HealthSource Integrative Medical Centre, Dr Michael Reid ND (Naturopathic Doctor), FABNO (Board Certified in Naturopathic Oncology), consults with each and every cancer care patient, and tailors an effective plan for each patient in order to provide the best possible outcomes. He strategically integrates evidence-based therapies to guide candidates to the best personalized methods of treatment.
- Cancer Prevention and Screening
- Cancer Treatments and Integrative Therapies
- Research at HealthSource Integrative Medical Centre